Sunday 12 April 2015

Mercenaries Concept Development: John

John was one of the first character's I designed for this project.

His main key inspirations were Captain America, James Rayner ,Rorschach and Master Chief.

The idea for him was to be a leader of a team of mercenaries looking for justice.   As constellations were a key inspiration, I based this character on Orion the Hunter. I also took inspiration from foxes and wolfs as they were affiliated with hunting.

Following an occupation of his homeland, he turned from a pacifist to a freedom fighter. He watched as he saw his childhood friend Cassandra O'pier turn on him for her personal gain by leaving him for dead and joining the Tundran Republic. John had never forgiven her and has had trouble trusting people since the war ended. For a few years, he ended up traveling from place to place as a mercenary. When he joined Team Northstar as its leader, he has crossed paths with Cassandra. 


John Polaris Moodboard

For his suit design I wanted it to share the square motifs of the Alliance. However I went though a few variations.


Armour Suit Iterations

Sketch of John without suit

Final Armour Line Artwork



John's Colour Iterations

I decided to include gold, red and blue in the characters colour scheme. The red helps contrast however it stands out too much. To fix this, I unsaturated it.The gold reflects with John's hopes for a better world and the blue reflects his sense of justice and his sense of authority and desire for order.

Base Coloured with Lines Coloured



Line artwork with Helmet Design

 I included ears on the helmet was because I was taking in some animal influences for the characters and it think it would help the character's silhouette.

I looked at the mood board that  I used for Isaac's Weapon and used that as template. The reason I wanted to go with the axe was that I was wanting some Scottish influences on this character so I designed a futuristic axe for him to use.

Axe Sketches

Final Coloured Axe






No comments:

Post a Comment