Sunday 12 April 2015

Style Research

For this project, I decided to focus on improving my line art skills using Sai and Photosho as it is an area I enjoy.

Here is a video tutorial about how I can add depth and weight to line work.

There were various artists that I took inspiration from.

Tony Moore

What I liked about this style was that to me, it helped define the Walking Dead franchise. The artist uses real life proportions in his characters but he allows exaggerated facial features and head shapes. He has made line art pieces which are then coloured with soft brushed light effects. Some of this is noticeable in "The Walking Dead "Tell Tale series and the Walking Dead Volume 1.



Neil Googe

I like how this artist's line art provides depth and immense detail. However I find his style to be flawed. He has difficulty producing effective facial expressions and these can come out as awkward or silly to a certain degree.
Here is a moodboard to illustrate this. I have used mu windows phone to capture stills from the comic Warcraft: Dark Riders graphic novel written by Mike Costa and illustrated by Neil Googe.


Facial Expressions for Warcraft: Dark Riders.



Julius Cowan Moodboard

I had followed this artist's work on Deviantart and I've found his work to be very good. I liked the approach he has taken to provide extra depth to an existing game franchise, especially one has not been touched upon for nearly 20 years. Although he has great focus on environments ,an area which I have difficulty in, I do admire the way he represents certain elements through the use of digital painting.

You can find more of his work on DA.



I observed the artwork from the Star Wars: The Old Republic Art Book . While I like this digital painting I feel that it would get too complex for me over the course of the module.

Buchanan, M. (2011). Figures: They Speak For Themselves (mildly NSFW). [online] tumblr.com. Available at: http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/3583964949/figures-they-speak-for-themselves-mildly-nsfw [Accessed 9 Apr. 2015].

Costa.M. 2013. Warcraft: Dark Riders. 1st ed. New York: DC Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment