Sunday 19 April 2015

Tundran Republic: Ursula Development



I fancied designing a character based of Ursa Major .From my previous blog on animal traits, bears were often associated with nature and life. I used that knowledge to develop a character that fitted the Earth Mother trope. I wanted to add some variety and so I designed her to be a middle aged mother who was also a commissar like Cassandra.










Here are a variety of silhouettes for Urusla. It was through this process that I experimented with uniform ideas but also body types for Ursula. Since the Republic is meant to be more racial accepting compared to the Empire, Ursula should reflect that diversity. I wanted to represent the racial diversity of the Republic faction through the cast in the same ways as the original series of Star Trek (1966) had characters of various ethnic origins.



Early Ursula Sketches


I was able to get this pose with the help of these images for reference.


(Shipfactory, n.d.)



(Nmaxfield, 2006)

Ursula Line Artwork

While I explored certain shapes, I wanted to make sure that I still had the shape motifs of the faction in the character's design.

Ursula Colour Scheme Iterations

Final Saturated Colour Scheme

I began playing around with colour saturation and tried out different types of warm colours. I used browns and greens to reflect her role as an earth mother. The desaturated colours I have chosen have helped emphasis her age and experience through the military.
Final Ursula Colour Scheme 


For the final iteration for Ursula, I added extra detail to suggest her high rank.I added extra strips on her gloves to emphasis this.


Images References

Shipfactory, (n.d.). Asian business woman isolated greenscreen green background upset arms crossed. [video] Available at: http://ak7.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/6251429/preview/stock-footage-asian-business-woman-isolated-greenscreen-green-background-upset-arms-crossed.jpg [Accessed 18 Apr. 2015].

Nmaxfield, (2006). Business Woman - Stock Image. [image] Available at: http://www.istockphoto.com/photo/business-woman-1167350 [Accessed 18 Apr. 2015].


No comments:

Post a Comment